OVERVIEW | FORMAT | TEXT | COMPLETION | REGISTRATION
Career Development Theory, Models & Practices
CDP-02 – CCDP Theory Course* – Class size is limited.
Theory, models, and practices offer us the foundation for the work we do in our career practice. You’ll explore a wide range of existing and emerging theories and models, which form the basis of current practice of the Career Development profession in Canada. You will build a critical mass of knowledge and skill as a foundation on which to base your practice.
This is an intensive 2-week distance learning course
Theories provide a framework and a context for working with clients and inform our practice. This course will build your knowledge of the theoretical foundations of Career Development, including Maslow’s Theory of Human Motivation, Super’s Lifespan/Lifespace Model, Parson’s Trait and Factor Theory, Roe’s Personality Type Theory, Holland’s Theory of Career Choice, and Ginzberg’s Theory of Career Choice. You will examine issues of culture in relation to career development theory. By analyzing the strengths and limitations of these theories, models, and practices, you can apply them appropriately in your career interventions.
This course blends videos, reading, quizzes, online discussions, reflection exercises, small projects, combining a flexible learning schedule in a dynamic and interactive learning environment. The discussions and exercises in this course are designed to apply learning towards a Career Development Model so that you can work constructively with clients for individualized career plans.
If you want to learn how to apply theory and models into practice, you are working towards your Certified Career Development Practitioner / Professional (CCDP) designation, or you would like to be granted your Certified Career Strategist (CCS) Certification in the future, you will discover that this course is designed to help you achieve your goal!
Join this fully-facilitated, part-time online course.
- You participate in the online class and complete daily assignments on your own schedule.
- You have full access to all course material, videos, quizzes, forums, and assignments at any day and time during the course.
- You work along with other students in the class and participate in group discussions.
- Your course instructor is available weekdays to review your progress and answer your questions.
Working towards your certifications?
The Career Development Theory, Models and Practices Course is designed to meet the core requirements for the following programs:
- Certified Career Development Practitioner / Professional (CCDP) – Provincial Designation*
- Certified Career Strategist (CCS) – National Designation
Are you ready to learn and apply Career Development Theory, Models and Practices?
This course will help you in the following ways:
- Learn to analyze and apply existing and emerging theories in professional practice.
- Identify and describe various career development models and practices.
- Relate models of human development to models of career development.
- Explain and apply the main components of career development.
- Identify the repercussions of social roles on career development.
- Define a personal approach to service delivery, taking into account recognized theories, models and practices.
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to lifelong learning and ongoing professional development.
- Position yourself to earn more as a qualified career development coach, consultant, or counsellor.
- Earn 30 hours towards any Continuing Education Credits (CECs) you require.
- Complete the theory requirement for your provincial Certified Career Development Practitioner / Professional (CCDP) certification.*
- Become eligible to Fast-Track the Certified Career Strategist (CCS) credential.
Gain knowledge and build your expertise by focusing on your needs.
To give you highly personalized attention and mentoring, class sizes are limited. One-on-one support, group discussions, exercises, and follow-up assignments will enable you to actively develop your skills. Your CCDP-Certified course instructor will be available to answer your questions. You’ll also connect and learn from other course participants. Through these interactions, you will learn how and when to apply concepts.
Get valuable resource material that you will use again and again.
You will receive The Canadian Career Strategist, the Certified Career Strategist (CCS) Study eGuide, along with a comprehensive workbook and additional resources. The eGuide is a valuable resource. It thoroughly discusses current concepts and strategies to enable practitioners to provide ethical services. Many opportunities will be provided for you to become familiar with the material. This eGuide and associated resources will be an asset throughout your career.
Ready yourself for the next step in your professional development.
Career Development Theory, Models and Practices (CDP-02) is designed to meet the core requirements for the theory portion for the Certified Career Development Practitioner / Professional (CCDP). Contact your provincial association to receive approval for credits through this course.
Career Development Ethics and Standards (CDP-01) along with Career Development Theory, Models and Practices (CDP-02) are preparatory and assessment courses for those practitioners wishing to receive their Certified Career Strategist (CCS) designation. Upon passing CDP-01 and CDP-02, you will have completed the base requirements for the Certified Career Strategist (CCS) certification through Career Professionals of Canada. You will bypass the formal assessment of a case study. Note that you must have a minimum of 2 years related work experience and you must pay the application fee to be granted the designation through CPC’s CCS Fast-Track Program. Certification program information and costs are outlined on Career Professionals of Canada’s website.
PROGRAM RATE Professional Members of Career Professionals of Canada $395 Supporting Organizations (ask for code) $553 Non-Members $790
Fees are paid at the time of registration for each course. Cost includes all required texts.
Some additional texts may be recommended, but are not mandatory.
Course Number: CDP-02
Course Status: Registration Open
Course Duration: 2 Weeks | 30 hours
Course Prerequisite: Prior practical or academic experience in the career development or related field is recommended.
Accreditation: Career Development Ethics and Standards Course Certificate (upon successful completion).
Distance Education | Fully Facilitated | Online Course
This custom-designed, fully facilitated online format is ideal for adult learners. When you register, you will receive login instructions by email so that you can get comfortable with the platform and program, and start your pre-course work right away.
The distance education format is a combination of videos, reading, quizzes, online discussions, reflection exercises, small projects, and final homework assignment. Your active participation in all these aspects enriches your learning experience.
Proactive class participation is encouraged and required. Discussion forums enable you to participate when it is convenient for you, rather than at a specific time. A messaging system gives you real-time interaction between course instructors and other students who are online.
As this course is offered online, you must have reliable Internet access and be comfortable using Internet technology, downloading resources, and communicating in discussion forums.
You will be expected to spend a similar amount of time on this course as you would in a classroom-based environment of 30 hours over 2 weeks.
REQUIRED TEXT | RECOMMENDED READING
Students will be supplied with The Canadian Career Strategist, Career Professionals of Canada’s Certified Career Strategist eGuide.
Students will also receive a comprehensive workbook along with additional relevant readings which will be posted on the course site.
All required text and course resources are supplied. In addition, we recommend the following reading to supplement the course material: Career Development Practice in Canada: Perspectives, Principles, and Professionalism
Students must achieve an overall grade of at least 80% to successfully complete the course.
- Online assignments and group discussion participation (60%)
- Homework assignment Connecting Theory & Models to Practice (40%)
Upon successful completion of CDP-01 and CDP-02 with a minimum of 80% in each course students are eligible to bypass the formal assessment of a case study and be considered for the Certified Career Strategist (CCS) designation by the Career Professionals of Canada. Note that you must have a minimum of 2 years related work experience and you must pay the application fee to be granted the designation through CPC’s CCS Fast-Track Program. Certification program costs are outlined on the Career Professionals of Canada website.
* The Certified Career Development Professional / Practitioner (CCDP) is under the jurisdiction of provincial/territorial Career Development associations. Across Canada, the field is evolving and processes are becoming formalized. Not every province/territory offers CCDP certification. However, some are well established and others are well underway. Currently, CCDP applications are evaluated on a case-by-case basis by the province/territory. Please check with your association to confirm that this program qualifies for CCDP credits under their program.